Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My German Phone Call

I had just moved to Germany to work as a teacher for the American Department of Defense schools. My language training had been only in Latin, both in high school and in college, so my knowledge of German was very minimal. I decided right away to take a conversational German class so I would be able to communicate, even just a little, with my neighbors and shopkeepers.
I had one or two classes under my belt. I knew how to say, "Ja,"[Yes], "Sprechen Sie Langsamer, Bitte" [Speak slowly, please], "Wir machen eine pause, bitte", [We are taking a break], "Konnen Sie das bitte wiederholen? " [Can you repeat that please?], "Meine name ist Fraulein Piper" [My name is Miss Piper], "Verstehen Sie Das?" [Do you understand me?] and probably a few other words and phrases. (note: my spelling, translation, and grammar are quite likely not correct, but this is the general idea.)
The phone in my new home rang. Excited, I answered, "Hallo?" and a man began speaking rapidly to me in German. I listened to all the words, and finally, I heard the word, "Name." Recognizing this, I said, in German, "My name is Fraulein Piper" (note: Piper is actually pronounced as "Peeper" in German.) The man repeated my name, I said, "Ja, ja, ja, " along with him and we had a good laugh. I have no idea why, but I was pleased that I was conversing! The mostly one-sided conversation continued, peppered with an occasional "Ja, ja, ja" along with polite laughter.
Finally, I just had to slow him down. So, I asked him to "Sprechen Sie Langsamer" and he said something about "Langsamer?" which I responded with more "Ja, ja, ja" answers. He laughed, I laughed, and on he went. Sometimes he would pause, as if waiting for me to say something, and I would say, "Konnen Sie das bitte wiederholn?" Again, he would repeat it, laughing, and I would sputter out my "Ja, ja, ja." Whenever I would say anything, I would ask him if he understood it, in German, and he would also "Ja, ja" me in return.
At one point, I realized that this was getting me nowhere, so I pulled out my last phrase, which was in German that I needed to take a break now. This was met with dead silence, and then in a low voice, he said, "Pause?" and I again told him yes. After another sentence or two, quieter talking, and more pauses from his end, I heard him say in a sentence the word "Schwanz."
I was familiar with this term, as the German vulgarity for "Penis" had also become an American slang term. All of a sudden I stopped listening to his talking and finally realized that what, indeed, I had been a part of was an obscene phone call. In German. And I was telling him my name, asking him to repeat things and speak slower, lots of "Yes, yes, yes" and finally that I needed to take a break.
Embarrassed, I hung up the phone. My friends call me Fraulein Peeper to this day.

1 comment:

Mother 25 - 8 said...

That was hilarious! Little scum bucket, but funny, too.